1912

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts award the Guild of St. Agnes its state charter to operate as a charitable organization.  The Guild opens its doors for the first time in June at 20 Vernon Street in Worcester.

 

1913

February 7 – The “circle members” met and voted the temporary shelter to be known as the Guild of St. Agnes.  Officers were elected.  Interest grew for the mission and in one month there were over 400 members donating financial gifts to the endeavor.  The total money raised was over $1,599.  The site was selected, and the first address of the Guild became 20 Vernon St. the former Hopkins Estate

1913

December 18 – The Commonwealth of Massachusetts award the Guild of St. Agnes its state charter to operate as a charitable organization.  The Guild opens its doors for the first time in June at 20 Vernon Street in Worcester.  

1914

May – The Ladies Catholic Benevolent Association invites the sisters of Providence to manage the Guild and the services expand to include a “Day Nursery.”  In the first two months 751 children enrolled. The charge was 5 cents a day for those able to pay. 

1917

World War1 breaks out and the Guild establishes an auxiliary Red Cross to help in those efforts. When the following year, an influenza epidemic severely struck the area, the Guild took care of many of the children whose parents were victims.  During the next 650 days, the Guild cared for fifty-one inflicted children.

1924

The first vehicle is purchased to transport children from other areas of the city.

 

1940's

World War II breaks out, women are asked to assist in the war efforts.  Their children were placed at the Guild.

1950's

The Guild of St. Agnes and Catholic Charities decide to separate services.  The Guild continues with child care and Catholic Charities takes over the social service component. 

1973

The Sisters of Providence leave the Guild and lay teachers are hired.

1974-1985

Francis Naughton is named the first Executive Director of the Guild.

 

Our Story

Over the Years

1912

Catherine Murphy, Worcester Police Matron, pleaded to the Worcester community to open a shelter for destitute woman detained by the courts as well as their children.  The Reverend Daniel Tully believed in the cause and felt it was within the charitable works of the Catholic Diocese.

^
2004

Best Upcoming Brewery Award

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim.
^
2015

Opened LA Tap Room

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim.
^
2019

opened NY Tap Room

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim.

Pin It on Pinterest